Wednesday 17 October 2012

Saving Money on Clothing

Occasionally when I think it’s time for some new clothes, I go through my wardrobe and firstly I check everything to see what actually fits.  Items I really like that don’t fit at the moment I store in a plastic tub in the bottom of my wardrobe.  Like most women my weight can fluctuate and I used to think that that was an excuse for a shopping spree.   I also go through my children’s clothing twice a year (summer and winter) to see what fits and what they have grown out of. 

Clothing that I no longer need I take to the local second hand clothing store, where I get an in store credit or a few dollars for each piece of clothing.   Items they don’t want I then donate to the local charity.
Here is a scarf I recently purchased after taking a bag of clothes to the second hand store.  It’s been handmade and was only $15.  This way of shopping is fantastic as it recycles all clothing for a new owner.

 

Old t-shirts or clothing that is too worn out for someone else to own, I cut up into rags to be used around the house for cleaning.

I am learning how to only buy what I need each season, and I have been surprised that I only need a couple of items.  What a wonderful way to save money and our environment.

I also shop for clothing at garage sales as you can generally pick things up for a dollar or two.  It is sometimes amazing what people sell at garage sales.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment