Tuesday 2 October 2012

My 10 Minute Vegetable Garden


 
 I spend 10 minutes in the morning and again in the afternoon to keep my vegetable patch producing wonderful vegetables for my family.  We also keep 3 chickens which supply us with ample eggs every day.  My simple gardening routine began with composting and keeping chickens, that took care of all our kitchen scraps and helped reduce our kitchen waste.

We received a free compost bin from our local council after attending a free one day composting workshop.


Our homemade chicken coop and run, all made from recycled timber.

I then began to sow seeds and plant them out into larger pots.
 
We have fenced off a section of the yard for the garden area to keep the dog away from the chickens. The fencing was recycled from my sisters place when they replaced their front fence.  I then began planting veges in the small garden area.  My routine has developed over time and I really enjoy the complete circle of putting scraps into the kitchen compost, using the compost on my garden, planting seeds and watching the crops grow, then harvesting fresh veges for a wonderful salad or stir-fry for dinner.  It gives me a sense of purpose and creativity, knowing I have had a hand in what's on our dinner plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment